The Student News Site of Niles Middle School

NMS PRESS

• Award winner Catherine Bosley will visit NMS to speak to our students Thursday, May 16.
  • Seventh grade math testing begins Tuesday, April 30 and ends Wednesday, May 1
  • The WEB picnic will be held on Tuesday, May 21st at Waddell Park in Niles.
  • NMS Choir Concert will be held on Tuesday May 14th 2024. Sixth Grade is at 6:00 p.m and Seventh and Eighth Grade is at 7:30 p.m.
  • The Staff and Students will have an annual Walk for Cure day on Monday, May 20th.
  • The McKinley Memorial Library will visit NMS during lunch periods on Thursday May 16th.
  • Seventh and Eighth Grade Band Concert Will be on Tuesday May, 9th 2024 at 7:30 p.m at NMS gymnasium.
  • The Sixth Grade Band Concert will be held on Tuesday May 9th 2024 at 6:00 p.m at NMS gymnasium.
  • Teacher Appreciation Week is May 6th- May 10th 2024!
  • Sports banquet is May 21st.

NMS PRESS

NMS PRESS

Poll

This poll has ended.

What is your favorite summer activity?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Goodbye Eighth Grade
Melissa Ciminero, Editor • May 30, 2023

Thirty for Thirty!

Ms.+Wike+and+her+dog+Cooper%2C+finished+a++5k+race+winning+1st+place+in+her+age+group%21+%0APhoto+courtesy+of+Ms.+Wike+
Ms. Wike and her dog Cooper, finished a 5k race winning 1st place in her age group! Photo courtesy of Ms. Wike

We have a runner, and that runner is in the building is…. Ms. Mary Wike. Ms. Wike is a marathon runner, who is doing a “Thirty for Thirty” challenge. That means, she runs a marathon every year until she turns thirty. But, she had to have the practice to prepare and execute her plan. So, how did she start?

Ms. Wike holding up ribbon!
Photo courtesy of Ms. Wike

Ms. Wike started running when she joined track in Middle School. Ever since, she really enjoyed the feeling of running. She started running marathons in 2021, when she was 26 years old. In total, she’s completed 28 marathons. That means she only has two more until she completes her goal! Her next goal is to run half a marathon in EACH state. Now that’s a great goal. Even after her marathons, she doesn’t stop running and take a break. She makes sure to practice daily so she gets better and better for each marathon. She tries to run 6 miles every time she goes on a run, but did you know that the longest she has run for was 21 miles? Wow! When she runs, she likes to run in the trails or in the woods on a nice cool evening when it’s 60 degrees–not too hot, nor not too cold.

Ms. Wike likes running, but she has had her moments when she wanted to give up. She would never give up because of her goal and because of how much time she put into running. She doesn’t want to just lose all of her hard work and dedication to running, so she didn’t let her negative thoughts win and she pushed through. Since she loves to run and never let her negative thoughts win, she has some advice for you if you want to start running. Ms. Wike said, “Be persistent and it’s not very fun, but once it’s a habit, it will be more enjoyable.” I mean, we all can take this good advice from the expert.

We hope Ms. Wike keeps on running no matter what life throws at her. We know she will succeed in her goal “thirty for thirty” and her next goal after that. We would like to thank Ms. Wike for taking the time to sit with us and give us this information. Good luck with everything you set out to accomplish! We will cheering for you.

This is Ms. Wike after winning a marathon! (Ms. Wike)
Ms. Wike running with the wind!
Photo courtesy of Ms. Wike.